Thursday, December 25, 2008

Sunday Best

Today I watched Doubt, a stunning, spare movie about conviction. It was, in movie speak, riveting. Morally provocative. Two ecclesiastic thumbs up. I highly recommend you and your beloved see it with a large coke, small popcorn and nerd rope.

It was so riveting that, well, I had an idea. A bit of background:

The movie was set in the Catholic Church setting circa 1969. I’ve never been much of a church goer, but I do like the idea of wearing dresses that require a trench coat and gloves every week to sit and contemplate the fiber of my spiritual essence in a gloriously cavernous church adorned with stained glass windows and intricate moldings. In the movie- Philip Seymour Hoffman plays an eloquent priest that serves up some seriously evocative sermons. I liked that too. The idea of going once a week to intellectually process some conflict of the soul with a group of my peers. – I will say here that- not all priests can engage their parish to a truly profound level- but in my religious fantasy every time I leave the church, I leave light, contemplative, and spiritually effervescent. Like a quiet winter’s toast of soul bubbly.

I like everything about Sunday Church sans the reality of Sunday Church. Disclaimer- These judgments are purely based on my limited and singular experience- Church is full of old people, and While I appreciate old people, they move slow and often want not to speak at length about abstract thoughts. I mean most people don't in general. So scratch the old people thing- Most people are incapable of having an in depth, abstract conversation, and Church is full of most people. The preacher or minister is often boring or complacent- hell fires this, good lord is the best, YAY! Jesus Christ love all mighty our savior. Fine. The music can be of mediocre production and the pews are horribly uncomfortable. Oh yea and alot of the dogma is pretty oppressive. Disclaimer- It just isn't for me- I understand and am happy for people who find a sense of community and comfort in the church. I know it's helped many people in times of trouble and guided them to find meaning and create a set of values in spirit and in practice, and I know it can be a really lovely important institution -I have no strong negativity towards Church or Churchgoers (okay some- those crazies who think God created 9-11 to punish America for not burning gay people on crosses- not a fan) - But again- It's just not for me.

So what is for me? This is my idea-

The Church of Art

Every Sunday, a congregation of artists, writers, musicians, dancers, thinkers etc. come together to listen to the sermon of a transient lecturer- whoever they may be- and this lecturer will elocute about something - whether it be an artist, song, piece of work etc,- and this topic in some way or another poses a question, or idea. Kind of like a visiting professor in a college lecture hall. There will also be music to be performed by whoever, local musicians, not-local musicians, dj's, kind of like an open mic- but not terrible- and then everyone creates! Something must be made! And then a small feast will follow. Special programs can be planned such as unveiling of a piece, or a performance- I mean really the format will be open- most likely decided by the lecturer of the day. Everyone will dress up and perhaps bring something to eat potluck style. And we will all feel as though we are a part of something important, beautiful, even Godly when we go home. I'm envisioning Bean Bag Chairs.

Oh, it's a rough idea. But nonetheless one I will pursue further. To Worship Art: Our Art, the Art of the World, And The High Art of the Spirit.

Anyone want to pass out the pamphlet?

No comments: